Below are major project questions broken down into ”The 7 Key Elements of Digital Signage.” By answering each one, you increase your knowledge about the requirements of a project and you increase your probability of success.
- Will the players be mounted in or behind the displays, or in a data closet?
- How exactly will the displays and appliances be mounted?
- How many hours a day will the screens be in use?
- Based on display locations, will you have potential security issues?
- Do you want to remotely control the display(s)?
- Will you need to protect screens and equipment from dust, debris, and the elements, as well extremes in temperature or moisture?
- Will your digital signage installation meet all local and federal codes and requirements?
- Are you considering a hosted or software as a service (SaaS) solution or a single purchase licensed software solution?
- Do you want to display information crawls or RSS news feeds to audiences?
- Does the player software support this?
- Is the system capable of generating automated e-mail alerts in case of system and/or screen failure?
- Does the system perform status checks of connected devices and log content play out for reporting purposes?
- Will touch screens be used in your application, and will the software support them?
- What is the network configuration?
- Are there any bandwidth limitations?
- Will you be sharing a network with other applications outside digital signage?
- Who specifically will be responsible for installing the equipment and connecting it to the network?
- For screens located far from a source, what kind of signal distribution are you considering?
- Are you looking to integrate video from another source into your content feed?
- Will you be locating signage in an island kiosk or aisle end caps?
- How do you plan to distribute audio as well as serial control signals?
- Are there existing content resources to draw from?
- Who will be responsible for the overall “look and feel” of the content?
- Do you have graphic designers on staff or the services of a design firm?
- Can suppliers, vendors, or partners of yours help supply content?
- Will you need to add audio with your content?
- Is audio permissible in the environment that you have chosen for the digital signage system?
- Will you have a single person administer or multiple people who require passwords and permissions for any specific content?
- Will you need to integrate additional building operations, such as paging, security, or fire alarms into the digital signage?
- Will you have someone on-staff to troubleshoot issues and be dispatched to get a screen or player up and running?
- Are their provisions for proper system backup for operation and storage of content?
- Have you properly estimated the amount of time it takes not to just implement a system, but also manage it and update it with fresh, relevant content later?
- Who is the intended audience/viewer?
- What information do you want to communicate?
- Are you looking to deploy the signage in more than one location?
- Looking to deploy your digital signage internationally?
- Are you planning an incremental roll-out?
- Do you have a lead person designated to evaluate and test the system?
- What is the timeline for judgment and what are the repercussions for failure or success?
- Is the digital signage system based on ROI?
- Is the digital signage system based on attainment of objectives, aka ROO, and if so, what is the business plan and strategy?
- Are there participating partners in the project and if so, what is the division of responsibilities and metrics of completion of tasks?
Being able to understand and answer each of these questions will aid you on your journey to digital signage success. Comments? Questions? You can always reach out to one of our Digital Signage Success Managers at 724-873-6553.